Monday, May 24, 2010

Reflections from Spain: #1

With a little help from my friends…

To the day I now have lived three months away from home in the United States, and three months in the homes of Spanish Vincentian priests and brothers. I’ve lived mostly in Zaragoza, but also visited Madrid, Ávila, Valencia, and Lisbon (Portugal).  There were also those short stays in places not so well known, at least outside of Spain, such as Baracaldo, Pamplona, Teruel, and Valladolid. No matter where it's been, I’ve always felt welcome as a guest and often invited to help with the driving to get there, a real treat in itself.
Since this was my own homemade version of an overseas sabbatical it’s fair , at the end of its "first chapter," to ask, to what end?  What were the goals? Were my investments of time and resources, particularly those of the Congregation, productive?

Well...

1) I wanted to improve my Spanish skills (listening, reading, speaking and writing); there’s clearly some improvement, mostly in comprehension but also noticeably in the speaking and writing areas. Of course there's no more effective way than immersion to improve language skills -- even during those times when the experience might be a bit rattling and isolating;

2) I wanted to perceive the world and the church through the eyes of my Vincentian and Daughter of Charity friends, as well as those of the priests and seminarians at the Zaragoza Theology Center (CRETA).  They were very obliging with heartfelt opinions (just say the word "Zapatero" to any confrere and hear the fireworks!), good stories, examples of their own struggles and expression of their hopes.  Clearly, the Spanish Church is going through a unique period in its history as is all of 21st century Europe.  This is a painful and uncertain time, but there are promising signs of new life as well.


3) Given that much of my teaching and preaching ministry has been and hopefully will be with Spanish-speaking immigrants in my country, I hoped for an updating in theology and Sacred Scripture.  I was particularly interested in how to think, reflect, and formulate ideas in Spanish. For the most part I listened, which was work enough!  Thanks to the faculty and courses at CRETA, I have boxes of books and notes now on their way to Dallas, and lots of fresh insights dancing around in my head.  For all that am more than grateful.  It's safe to say that updating here was well worth the effort, even if, as an auditor, I was excused from exams(!).

I’ve also spent a lot of time by myself, doing what I explain to myself (and others) as resting, but I’d be more honest if I’d describe most of this “down time” as endlessly mulling over mixed feelings about the past and anxieties about the future. (The shadow side of life as an introvert).  In fact, were it not for the sincere interest of confreres, I may have remained more-or-less safe in my own little world but certainly would have learned little to nothing during these months. Once their provincial (Juan Julián) had invited me into their homes the members included me in their conversations and celebrations, and even on occasion in their ministry. Hospitality, a virtue as essential today as it was in Biblical times, is alive and well in the Congregation. The confreres who met me at the airport, who showed me how to use the Metro in Madrid and the bus system in Zaragoza, the men who made sure I didn’t miss a meal or a community event, the confreres and sisters who took the time to explain a joke (at great risk of ruining it, of course!) or coached me on the latest street expressions (modismos españoles), and even those who corrected my grammar and pronunciation, all of this took effort and interest in their guest. Indeed, I noticed moments when they quietly took pride in my progress, as well they should!  In the end. for me, simply having a place to stay and people with whom to share table and conversation, dissipated much of the strangeness of living in a strange land.

Some years ago the then Provincial Visitor of Zaragoza, Corpus Delgado, proactively campaigned to welcome any confrere who wanted to study Spanish, to know that he would be welcome here in the Zaragoza Province. He meant it and so does his successor, Juan Julián D. Catalán. Today, the province has confreres from places as far away as India and the United States, to Slovakia and Rumania, all here to study, to work for awhile, to earn a degree, to live in community. In this respect this province has become a marvelous example of a new and healthy internationalism in our Congregation.  I can only hope that more of us take advantage of their invitation. 

So I thank the men of the Zaragoza Province for taking me in and helping me feel welcome in their homes. Muchísimas gracias, mis cohermanos! Espero veros un día en mi país y alreadedor de mi mesa, donde mi casa también será vuestra casa!

DPB